Contact Us
Solicitors for Your Business
Solicitors for You
About Us
Welcome to Savage Crangle Solicitors
A fresh approach to buying and selling
Frequently Asked Questions
How much will it cost?

We prefer to discuss and explain the costs and expenses involved with you face to face at our first meeting. However, we will give you details on the telephone or by email if this is your preference. In any event they will be confirmed in the client care letter which will be sent to you at the beginning of the transaction.

How long will it take?

Its very difficult at the outset to say how long it will take because there are a variety of factors which will influence the time and over which we may have no control. Delays can occur if your transaction is in a chain of dependent sales and purchases. The more properties involved, the more likely the delay. However, we will keep you informed of all developments as they occur.

Once contracts are exchanged, the completion date i.e. the date you move is fixed. We will discuss and agree this date with you beforehand.

When do I pay the deposit?

A deposit is paid to the seller’s solicitor when contracts are exchanged. It is usually between 5% and 10% of the property price.

Do I need to have a survey done?

If you need a mortgage, a valuer will inspect the property on behalf of your lender to assess whether the property has a sufficient value to support the amount you want to borrow. You can usually arrange with the lender for a more comprehensive survey. We would strongly recommend either your own survey or the more detailed lenders report. The principle of “purchaser beware” applies and you will buy the property as it is. Whilst the seller must not represent any aspect of the property, he is under no obligation to disclose any defects.

Do I have to pay stamp duty?

This is now called Stamp Duty Land Tax and is payable to the Inland Revenue is you are buying a house for more than £125,000 unless you are a First-Time Buyer in which case there is no Stamp Duty Land Tax for purchases of £250,000 or less.

If you purchase between £125,001 and £250,000, stamp duty is charged on the whole of the purchase price at 1%. Between £250,001 and £500,000 it is 3% of the whole of the purchase price. Between £500,001 and £1,000,000 it is 4% of the whole purchase price and above £1,000,001 it is 5% of the whole purchase price.

This tax is paid by the buyer – not the seller.

What is a HIP?

A HIP (Home Information Pack) contains important information about the property. For example it will contain searches, details of the title and an Energy Performance Certificate. We can prepare the HIP for you at a cost of £250.00 inclusive of VAT.

Will I need a HIP to sell my property?

Contact us for detailed advice. A HIP will generally be required to sell your home and the Pack must be ordered before your property can go on the market.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

The Certificate will highlight how energy efficient a property is by giving it a rating from A to G, where A is the most energy efficient.

To contact our residential property team click here.

Get a quote by calling us on 01756 794611 or click here and we will get back to you.

Savage Crangle Solicitors
Call Savage Crangle solicitors on 01756 794611